Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Center Step Card Blog Hop



Welcome to the Center Step Card Blog Hop.  Ashley, our blog hostess, set up this event and wanted each craft site to show off a project using the center step card technique.  I must confess that this is my first time doing this type of card crafting so I was both engaged and apprehensive (at the same time).  I googled the technique and found several very informative videos and tutorials that outlined the center step.  It was nice to move out of my comfort zone to try this and I'm pleased with the results.  

One of the online sites I found most helpful was http://juliedavison.com/Tutorials/1109_HorizontalCenterStepCard.pdf plus a diagram below.

First, I determined this type of card to have an advantage of being able to stand alone without being propped up on a card easel for display.  Second, I realized the center step technique afforded me the option of making a card with different dimensions than my normal pocket cards.  Third, I learned something new by signing up for the hop and, hopefully, you as OUR guest will experience lots of inspiration at the various blog spots to "give it a go too"!

The blog line up is as follows:
1.  Ashley - http://thebloghopprincess.blogspot.com/  HOSTESS
11. Pam - http://lovebugcreations3.blogspot.com/  HERE



My first project uses a paper piecing pattern from Paper Piecings by Nikki, which is called Peanut Butter and Jelly Cutting File. 

The strawberry and peanut butter idea is TOOOOO SWEEEET! http://www.paperpiecingsbynikki.com/


I used some very sturdy Kraft paper for the center step and jazzed it up with some strawberry paper I had in my paper stash. I don't own a cutting machine for SVG's so after fussy cutting the strawberry and peanut butter jar I added gel pen highlights, some "strawberry ribbon" (two different types), a sentiment stamped on Kraft paper and gel pen highlighted.

Since Halloween is approaching next month, I decided to create another center step card for that.



For the card base I used some grey-black and white swirled paper I had in my paper stash from a long time ago.  The card sentiment BOO is a stamp I purchased last year from Wal-Mart.  The strips of paper for the side and bottom panels are again from scraps I saved.  The image is a flying witch, a GFS digi, that I colored with pencils and gel pens (her dress and hat are a grey to go with the background paper, but the camera didn't pick up the color as it is in real life).  The two-toned gold and orange ribbon and the gems added a bit of glamor for our little witch.  I also mounted her on my new favorite thing - an Action Wobble.  

Here is a photo of the side shot of the center step card.


I also found this very helpful diagram online for a horizontal center step card.


Please leave me a comment/become a fan if you'd like and if you found my posting helpful.............Blog Candy rules are on Ashley's posting!!  


BLOG CANDY - $20 gift card to either Michaels or Joanns. To win the candy YOU must comment on all stops.

As I said, perhaps you'll be motivated to try this card technique and step out of your "same old, same old" style, but remember, no matter how you piece your paper, have fun with it..........cyberhugs.........Mama LoveBug!

This is the last stop on the hop - thank you for your participation today!!

Photobucket

32 comments:

Paper Craft Island said...

Oh my goodness, Mom....I LOVE these cards! I've not made a center step but I want to now! Seriously awesome job!!! :)

xoxo
Kim

Lisa E said...

I love the peanut butter and jelly card! Thanks for the template.

Migdalia said...

Fabulous andn Fun cards!Awesome job!
Migdalia
Mrodriguez860@hotmail.com

Claire Spielman said...

Hi, New to your blog and I think you did a wonderful job explaining the elements of the card...don't you just LOVE creating them? They become addictive since they ALWAYS look terrific when finished. Your P & J is adorable! Love the look of your blog design!!
So much fun to be sharing this hop with YOU!
Creative Wishes,
Claire S.
www.scrapmyway.blogspot.com
scrapmyway@gmail.com

silvia said...

Super cute cards!!

Jamie said...

Your cards turned out awesome! So cute!

Tonya said...

Love your PB&J card. Such a cute theme! And your witch is adorable. Great job on both cards!

Camille Short said...

The little witch card is a very sweet card. I am really excited to see all the wonderful talent in this hop! Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer said...

You're cards turned out perfect!! I love paper piecing its so relaxing! Thanks for sharing you're creativity and loved being in this hop with you.

ibecircled.blogspot.com said...

Thank you so much for sharing both of your Awesome cards and your PB&j is so cute!! Great Job!! I have been very Inspired to make one of these center step cards now!! Thanks for the inspiration all you very talented crafters have shared!!

ilovetonkinese2 at hotmail dot com
http://ibecircled.blogspot.com
Rexann♥

mamawcindy said...

Oh, I Love both of your Cards! The Peanut Butter and Jelly Card is so Super Cute and Creative! And I am Loving your Halloween Card! Awesome Job! I am going to try to make a Center Step Card! You all have gave so much Inspiration. Thanks for Sharing! :0)
cindys-greencricut.blogspot.com

marg0006 said...

such an cute straberry.

marg0006 at verizon dot net

Pammejo said...

Very cute card, I am going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing the diagram with us, I know I appreciate it. TFS I already follow your blog. pammejo1@yahoo.com
http://pammejo-scrapbookflair.blogspot.com/

Cathie w said...

THIS WAS A FUN HOP AND THANK FOR A DIFFERENT TAKE ON A HOP;...GREAT CARDS


Cathie
scraphappycat@gmail.com

Shar said...

oh my goodness, these are adorable!!! Super love the strawberry and peanut one. What a fun fun hop this has been! Thanks so much to everyone for sharing your talents.

scrapendipity@gmail.com
http://scrapendipity.blogspot.com

Carol Ric said...

Oh my goodness, this card is stunning! Great job, I love it!

stampwithcarol@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Such great cards!
<3 Pam
MzLavr2sCreations@live.com

cema1cema said...

Oh wow!! So cute.. Great pbj idea!!
Christina

Ashley Nicole said...

Both cards are super cute! Just love them. Love TGF image! Thank you so much for being a part of this hop.
Ashley

BlueCrayons said...

beautiful card. strawberry jelly on my p-nut butter sandwich is my fav. love your details. i to cut all my svg's by hand.,

craftingwithblue@gmail.com

Cathy said...

Oh my gosh the peanut butter and jelly card is adorable!!
cathyplus5.blogspot.com

**********************Barb said...

Love the cards! Great job on both of them!!!

Jessica Buffa said...

Yes ma'am, loving all the inspiration I gathered from hopping along with the group today. Wonderful card and I adore the gray tones you used on your darling GFS image. Gorgeous job and way to use up that stash. Happy to be hopping!
:O)
Jessica S
http://jessicascraftshaque.blogspot.com

Tambo said...

Pam, I love that you did the fussy cutting. I still do that a lot even owning a cricut. LOL The P & J card is so adorable. I love the witch card too. tfs Tami
Tambo's Creations!

fishioslady said...

I love the pb&j card. you done a great job. Have a blessed day
Melissa
http://justintimeforscraps.blogspot.com/

lmkindell1 said...

Both cards are great. Love them.
linda
lmkindell1@verizon.net

D- said...

Great cards! TFS.
dmcardmaker (at AOL)

Georgia Ehrmann said...

Love them both!
Hugs,
Georgia

Marianne S. said...

Great job on both of you cards. It's been fun being in this hop with you. Thank you for sharing.

An'Jenic G. said...

Great Cards and you did an awesome job using Nikki Peanut Butter and Jelly. So cute! TFS AJ-

pfry said...

I have really enjoyed this blog hop and thanks for all the tutorials, instructions and freebies along the way.
Peggy,
pfry@highland.net

Gail said...

Thank you for the wonderful blog hop - and your creations are great! I do not have the ability to use cut files other than those from my Cricut cartridges and I see so many wonderful cuts available - maybe someday. Have a great day and I will be making a stair-step card - it has been awhile since I made any - I am inspired!